Korganizer no longer opens from system tray

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Sat Oct 3 04:18:55 BST 2009

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

| > 3) Left-click on the KOrganizer icon in the system tray.
| >   Nothing happens. (Normally, the calendar window should re-appear.)
|
| I really hate it when stuff like that happens.
|
| > I'm wondering if this is a known bug.  I'm using
| >
| >   KOrganizer Version 4.3.1
| >   Using KDE 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1)
| >
| > on the testing distribution of Debian GNU/Linux.   I don't use KDE.
| > (My desktop environment is LXDE .)
| >
| Shouldn't matter since when you start a KDE application, "kdeinit4"
| should be run automatically, but that might be the problem.  Try running
| it first and see if that helps.
|
| The SystemTray icon is supposed to indicate that the "korgac" daemon is
| running.  You should start that in the startup script for your desktop
| since the alarms will not work without it.  IAC, check to see if it is
| running. after you close Korganizer.

When I have the problem, both kdeinit4 and korgac are running.
To make sure, I had killed both before starting korganizer:

$ ps -eo 'pid,ppid,start,command' | egrep -i 'kde|korg'
15456 14145 17:05:13 egrep -i kde|korg
$ korganizer
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/korgac
QSystemTrayIcon::setVisible: No Icon set
$ ps -eo 'pid,ppid,start,command' | egrep -i 'kde|korg'
15458     1 17:05:19 korganizer
15461     1 17:05:19 kdeinit4: kdeinit4 Running...
15462 15461 17:05:19 kdeinit4: klauncher [kdeinit] --fd=8
15464     1 17:05:19 kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit] e
15469     1 17:05:20 /usr/bin/korgac -icon korgac
15471 14145 17:05:23 egrep -i kde|korg
$

Now, both kdeinit4 and korgac are running.  A korganizer
icon is displayed on the system tray.

When I close the Calendar window of korganizer,
the icon stays.  But, nothing happens when I left-click
on it.

I can "Quit" the "KOrganizer Reminder Daemon" from the
right-click menu.  When I do that, the "korgac" process
is gone.

Is this worth reporting to the KDE bug tracking system?

For the moment, I've created an entry for korganizer
on my launcher (on the left-hand side of the baskbar
next to the main menu) so that I can launch the calendar
window from there.  This is not optimal but I can live
with it.

Regards,
Ryo