device issues with 'hald'

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Nov 20 11:33:58 GMT 2009

spir posted on Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:05:30 +0100 as excerpted:

> But I would still like to learn more about
> * how to let audio CD content be listed in file browser
> * why vfat memory stick cannot be browsed as
>   discussed in parallel thread.

The vfat thing... I don't know.  My guess was that perhaps the kernel
wasn't setup for it, thus the check in /proc/filesystems.  But I don't
know where to go from there, as it says it's fine.  I'd suspect it might
be something having to do with the hal internals that decide whether it's
a filesystem and return the notification based on that, but don't know
enough about those internals to be of any additional help and that's just
a guess.

The audiocd: kioslave thing too... I don't use enough to know much
about.  I only know it's there.  Maybe I'll play with it someday and
figure out a bit more about it.  Maybe not.  And if I do, "someday" could
be anything from later today, to years from now.  (More than a couple
years, however, and the whole thing could well be changed enough that
it's a whole different concept I'm playing with, by then...)

But if anyone else has info or ideas on either one, I'll be happy to
learn, too. =:^)