Is there a howto on essentials.

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:43:14 GMT 2009

I apologize as I usually lurk in a list for a bit before speaking up
but I'm in rather dire straits.  I'm a long time KDE user, been using
it probably since there was a KDE.  I know at least since RH 6 or 7 I
think I've been using KDE that far back.  I've been a fanatical KDE
user and advocate. KDE I feel has innovated and created the best UI
yet designed, at least until 4.  Now I have a machine that is
realistically crippled. It's like being forced to use Gnome or Windoze
or something horrible like that.

I'm also very slow to upgrade unless there is a compelling feature to
entice me to upgrade. Well the end of lifed all the distros I'm using
so I had to upgrade.

Going into the specifics would probably be repeating lots of other
complaints. I heard a good bit of griping about KDE 4 and figured bah
there was griping about 3 and I don't see what the fuss was about with
3.x's changes. Most of them were improvements in my opinion.

I don't even recognize KDE 4.x. EVERY useful feature and thing I liked
about KDE seems to have been removed. Everything I hate about windoze
and Gnome seems to have been introduced. I cannot be the only KDE fan
who turned green and puked imediately upon using KDE 4. So I'm hoping
there is a page somewhere with workarounds for all the things broken
in this version of KDE. Ways people have found to get around things
like not being able to add an app, or configure the desktops to show
ONLY the apps on that destop. What's the point of having multiple
desktops if you clutter the task bar up. I sometimes have as many as
200 apps open at the same time. Scattered across several desktops of
course. . Or how do you remove that lame home box that automatically
pops up.  I use Krusader and very rarely use Konquerer for file
management. The list goes on and on and I honestly truly hope there is
a change by change with work around for all the things broken in KDE
4.

Thanks
Drac