Is there a howto on essentials.

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Nov 19 22:42:51 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 November 2009 02:09:21 am Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> Rick Miles wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 November 2009 03:19:25 pm RW wrote:

> >> I imagine he wont since personal isn't an adverb.

> >> Hmm, go on, I'm intrigued.

> >> I doubt that could be any more patronising without the use of
> >> "old-timer".

> >> Does it not occur to you that long term users of KDE3 were best placed
> >> to understand KDE3's strengths and weaknesses. They're also more
> >> likely to be full-time KDE users.

> >> Nonsense, very little was mandated by qt4.

> >> No, many of us wanted change, there's huge scope for improvement in
> >> KDE3, we just wanted change that enhanced productivity. I doubt many
> >> people sat around thinking: this is far too fast and useful, I want
> >> wobbly windows, cubes and enough bloat and poor ergonomics  to slow me
> >> down to a more leisurely pace.
> >> ___________________________________________________
> >
> > Thanks RW,
> >
> > I'm over the adventure and excitment. I like the eyecandy and wobbles
> > allot but I want my work stations for work not testbeds.  I was around at
> > the transition from qt2 to qt3. I don't remember much in the way of
> > problems although the base kde was much smaller, less complex, I was new
> > to Linux and, consequently, evrything was a problem. I probably came
> > close to world records for Suse and Mandrake re-installs until I gave up
> > on yast, system V inits and learned to stop doing everything as root, but
> > I alway prefered kde, even back then and it always seemed to be puching
> > the envelope release by release. That's why I liked it and that's why I
> > still do. Maybe I just have less time these days to fiddle around
> > configuring things
> >
> > Perhaps young Bill has plenty of time on his hands and finds the fun of
> > upgarding is in the reconfiguring and the more the merrier.
>
> I wasn't going to reply but...............................
>

> What do you mean by "wobbly windows" and "cubes". I don't have any
> wobbly anything, except me, and have no idea what a cube is.
>
> I have virtually no issues with upgrades. [ Almost never have any issues
> with clean installs either. ]
Maybe you don't have any problem with people who have been around the longest and
are set in their ways either but I wouldn't be surprised if there were not others
besides RW and myself who found several of your comments a bit gratuitous.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Prickle-Prickle, the 32nd of The Aftermath, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au