Is there a howto on essentials.

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu Nov 19 15:09:21 GMT 2009

Rick Miles wrote:
> On Thursday 19 November 2009 03:19:25 pm RW wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:11:20 -0600
>>
>> Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Drac, don't take any of this personal.
>>>
>> I imagine he wont since personal isn't an adverb.
>>

>>> It's kind of a cumulative
>>> assessment of what I, as a relative newbie, see on many lists and
>>> threads.
>>>
>> Hmm, go on, I'm intrigued.
>>

>>> Most of the people I see grousing the most are those that have been
>>> around the longest. They have gotten "set" in their ways.
>>>
>> I doubt that could be any more patronising without the use of
>> "old-timer".
>>

>>> KDE4 is,
>>> from my limited time with KDE3, a major change. Some things from
>>> before work and many won't because of the fundamental change behind
>>> them.
>>>
>> Does it not occur to you that long term users of KDE3 were best placed
>> to understand KDE3's strengths and weaknesses. They're also more
>> likely to be full-time KDE users.
>>

>>> Some things from
>>> before work and many won't because of the fundamental change behind
>>> them. As I understand it it's the foundation that KDE stands on that
>>> made the change completely necessary.
>>>
>> Nonsense, very little was mandated by qt4.
>>

>>> I think the biggest problem is that no one wants change.
>>>
>> No, many of us wanted change, there's huge scope for improvement in
>> KDE3, we just wanted change that enhanced productivity. I doubt many
>> people sat around thinking: this is far too fast and useful, I want
>> wobbly windows, cubes and enough bloat and poor ergonomics  to slow me
>> down to a more leisurely pace.
>>
> Thanks RW,
>
> I'm over the adventure and excitment. I like the eyecandy and wobbles allot but I
> want my work stations for work not testbeds.  I was around at the transition from
> qt2 to qt3. I don't remember much in the way of problems although the base kde was
> much smaller, less complex, I was new to Linux and, consequently, evrything was a
> problem. I probably came close to world records for Suse and Mandrake re-installs
> until I gave up on yast, system V inits and learned to stop doing everything as
> root, but I alway prefered kde, even back then and it always seemed to be puching
> the envelope release by release. That's why I liked it and that's why I still do.
> Maybe I just have less time these days to fiddle around configuring things
>
> Perhaps young Bill has plenty of time on his hands and finds the fun of upgarding
> is in the reconfiguring and the more the merrier.

I wasn't going to reply but...............................

What do you mean by "wobbly windows" and "cubes". I don't have any
wobbly anything, except me, and have no idea what a cube is.

I have virtually no issues with upgrades. [ Almost never have any issues
with clean installs either. ]  This last upgrade was pretty much
painless. I started the upgrade and went to bed. It took about ten or
fifteen minutes the next morning to finalize it. No configuration issues
at all. The only issue I had with the upgrade to 9.04 was sound and once
I got into it the fix was relatively simple.

Everything works and my poor old computer is just as fast as it ever
was. Might even be faster. I don't keep much track of that sort of thing.

I sit here every day and wonder why so many people have issues with
stuff that just works.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop