Is there a howto on essentials.

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Nov 19 08:53:55 GMT 2009

On Thursday 19 November 2009 03:19:25 pm RW wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:11:20 -0600
>
> Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
> > Drac, don't take any of this personal.
>
> I imagine he wont since personal isn't an adverb.
>
> > It's kind of a cumulative
> > assessment of what I, as a relative newbie, see on many lists and
> > threads.
>
> Hmm, go on, I'm intrigued.
>
> > Most of the people I see grousing the most are those that have been
> > around the longest. They have gotten "set" in their ways.
>
> I doubt that could be any more patronising without the use of
> "old-timer".
>
> > KDE4 is,
> > from my limited time with KDE3, a major change. Some things from
> > before work and many won't because of the fundamental change behind
> > them.
>
> Does it not occur to you that long term users of KDE3 were best placed
> to understand KDE3's strengths and weaknesses. They're also more
> likely to be full-time KDE users.
>
> > Some things from
> > before work and many won't because of the fundamental change behind
> > them. As I understand it it's the foundation that KDE stands on that
> > made the change completely necessary.
>
> Nonsense, very little was mandated by qt4.
>
> > I think the biggest problem is that no one wants change.
>
> No, many of us wanted change, there's huge scope for improvement in
> KDE3, we just wanted change that enhanced productivity. I doubt many
> people sat around thinking: this is far too fast and useful, I want
> wobbly windows, cubes and enough bloat and poor ergonomics  to slow me
> down to a more leisurely pace.
Thanks RW,

I'm over the adventure and excitment. I like the eyecandy and wobbles allot but I
want my work stations for work not testbeds.  I was around at the transition from
qt2 to qt3. I don't remember much in the way of problems although the base kde was
much smaller, less complex, I was new to Linux and, consequently, evrything was a
problem. I probably came close to world records for Suse and Mandrake re-installs
until I gave up on yast, system V inits and learned to stop doing everything as
root, but I alway prefered kde, even back then and it always seemed to be puching
the envelope release by release. That's why I liked it and that's why I still do.
Maybe I just have less time these days to fiddle around configuring things

Perhaps young Bill has plenty of time on his hands and finds the fun of upgarding
is in the reconfiguring and the more the merrier.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Pungenday, the 31st of The Aftermath, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au