Is there a howto on essentials.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Nov 18 20:29:39 GMT 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-11-18, James Tyrer wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > yes, /usr/local/share:/usr/share should be the default for XDG_DATA_DIRS
> > if not set to anything else.
> > Since you wrote "had to add": did you have to set to something else
> > before?
>
> Yes, I have KDE-4 installed in its own directory (/usr/KDE-4).  So, I
> set XDG_DATA_DIRS to /usr/KDE-4/share).  Apparently, that resulted in
> KDE-4 no longer using the default (/usr/share).  Actually, I have some
> other things (Adobe reader & Sun JDK) in that path so it still would
> have been a problem if KDE-4 was installed in /usr.

It has very little to do where KDE is installed to.
XDG_DATA_DIRS is what list of directories it is set to, unless it is empty
because then it defaults to  /usr/local/share:/usr/share

Similar for XDG_CONFIG_DIRS which defaults to /etc/xdg, again if the variable
is not set or empty.

> >> And now they are there without adding
> >> them.  But, I can't add them to the Panel.
> >
> > Hmm, works for me using drag&drop onto an unlocked panel. Even moved
> > applets aside to make space. Also works to drop on the quick launch
> > applet.
>
> Where are the 'desktop' files for your X utilities?  Mine are in
> /usr/share/applnk/Utilities/XUtilities/.  Don't know how they originally
> got there.

I have a path /usr/share/applnk/Utilities, no subdirectories. A couple of
really old files, probably from an earlier KDE3 install or still installed
KDE3 packages.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring