kget not visible an konqueror won't download

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Tue Nov 17 05:56:54 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 08:45:30 am Duncan wrote:
> Rick Miles posted on Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:27:25 +1100 as excerpted:
> > The kget icon is not visible in the system tray although I am told that
> > it is running. Also I can select a file to download in konqueror by
> > right clicking > save as but nothing happens after that
> >
> > Any suggestions for troubleshooting? This seemed to work fine yesterday.
> > I'm using kde-4.3.2
>
> FWIW, kget is optional.  You can uninstall it (assuming your distribution
> breaks kde down into separate components at the necessary granularity)
No my distro ship kde vanilla so kget is part of kdenetwork
> and use konqueror's native downloader.  On dialup, some of the additional
> features of kget may be nice, but on broadband, the native konqueror/
> kdelibs downloader works fine, for me. It does for me to but I like to see the
history provided in kget

In ~./kde/share/apps/kget there is a logfile that shows that all the subject
downloads were "stopped" and unlike yesterday all today's downloads were .txz
files. i.e. slackware packages in the new compressed format .txz.

Also it seems tha ~./kde/share/config/konquerorrc did not have anything listed for
download manager although it was running yseterday.

Perhaps kget was running independently of konqueror and choking on the .txz files.
Why I couldn't find kget up as a gui window is still a mystery yet to be solved.

> I'd start by finding the stalled process and killing it.  Use the tool
> you're comfortable with, top in a konsole window, ps/kill/killall, the
> kde process list (ksysguard in process list personality), whatever.  You
> can then try again and see if it works.
>
> If that doesn't work, try restarting kde.
>
> If that doesn't work, there's deeper issues.  Someone who knew what they
> were doing and was on-site so could actually see what was running, etc,
> could likely fix it without a reboot, but lacking that, a reboot /should/
> fix it.

After 8 years with linux, 7 of them on Slackware, I'd better give up if I still
require  "someone who new what they were doing"  for something like that ;^)

root at rick:~$ kill `ps -A | grep kget | awk -F " " '{ print $1 }'`

..... and that will work for multiple instances

BTW Any idea about how to turn on the file information popups so that it appears
when I mouseover a file in kde-4.3.2 .  I know much less about kde4 and that
functionality seems to have been lost in my recent upgrade from kde-4.2.4

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Sweetmorn, the 29th of The Aftermath, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au