kget not visible an konqueror won't download

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Nov 16 21:45:30 GMT 2009

Rick Miles posted on Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:27:25 +1100 as excerpted:

> The kget icon is not visible in the system tray although I am told that
> it is running. Also I can select a file to download in konqueror by
> right clicking > save as but nothing happens after that
>
> Any suggestions for troubleshooting? This seemed to work fine yesterday.
> I'm using kde-4.3.2

FWIW, kget is optional.  You can uninstall it (assuming your distribution
breaks kde down into separate components at the necessary granularity)
and use konqueror's native downloader.  On dialup, some of the additional
features of kget may be nice, but on broadband, the native konqueror/
kdelibs downloader works fine, for me.

I'd start by finding the stalled process and killing it.  Use the tool
you're comfortable with, top in a konsole window, ps/kill/killall, the
kde process list (ksysguard in process list personality), whatever.  You
can then try again and see if it works.

If that doesn't work, try restarting kde.

If that doesn't work, there's deeper issues.  Someone who knew what they
were doing and was on-site so could actually see what was running, etc,
could likely fix it without a reboot, but lacking that, a reboot /should/
fix it.