4.3.3 bugs

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Nov 14 18:29:46 GMT 2009

James Tyrer posted on Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:55:52 -0700 as excerpted:

> Duncan wrote:
>> James Tyrer posted on Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:39:16 -0700 as excerpted:

>>> I note that this does work using the cursor keys.  So, it is probably
>>> some issue with KDE (or more probably Qt) vs the Xorg mouse driver.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else have a PS/2 mouse connection?
>>
>> I really doubt it's the physical mouse bus or how the driver reacts to
>> it.
>
> The Kernel does use different drivers for PS/2 and USB.  Although these
> should act the same, perhaps they don't.

Yes, but see below.  What I was getting at is that, if you're using the
right device which you are, the kernel is supposed to make whatever you
have look to the rest of the system like a Microsoft PS2 mouse, or an
Intellimouse, the same but for the number of buttons, AFAIK.

>> More likely, it's the driver interacting with kde, or the config. It
>> sounds like your xorg is significantly older than your kde at this
>> point.
>
> However, it has never worked starting with 4.0.0 or probably before.
>
>> What version of xf86-input-mouse and xorg-server are we talking,
>
> I have server 1.6.2 and I installed version 1.5.0 of the mouse driver
> recently with no change.

xorg-server 1.6.2 isn't /that/ old, either.  I'm not sure without
looking, for the mouse driver.

>> what kernel version,
>
> 2.6.30.2

OK, that's new enough it shouldn't be the problem.

>> and what's your kernel mouse config like -- which kernel device do you
>> have xorg using?
>>
> xorg.conf has "/dev/input/mice".

/dev/input/mice is a kernel "emulated" mouse.  It takes whatever it sees
and emulates a ps2 Microsoft Explorer mouse with it.  That's why I'm
saying it shouldn't matter.

What mouse type are you telling xorg to use, and is it set to use the
xorg.conf setting or hal (with server 1.6 and possibly 1.5, IDR ATM, it
would ignore the xorg.conf setting and use hal, unless you set a
serverflag telling it not to.  I don't have time ATM to look at the
details, but the xorg.conf manpage has them I believe.)