movie previews in konqueror or dolphin

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Tue Nov 3 21:17:48 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 17:30:54 Duncan wrote:
> Rick Miles posted on Tue, 03 Nov 2009 12:39:03 +1100 as excerpted:
> > I just upgraded to kde-4.3.2. I note since this upgrade from kde-4.2.4
> > dolphin and konqueror I do not have movie previews in place of icons
> > even though they are set for previews. The thumbnail generator is
> > working as I do have previews when I do a mouseover of any mpg file.
> >
> > Suggestions would be appreciated
>
> There's apparently multiple separate mechanisms at work.  On a lot of
> mine, I have way different thumbnails (different parts of the movie) on
> mouseover than in in gwenview, and dolphin/konqueror don't seem to
> generate icon thumbnails at all any more, except the 4-up sampler view on
> the directory containing them.
>
> As a consequence I tend to use gwenview for my movie browsing as well as
> my still-image browsing.
>
> FWIW, at least one generator kde uses is mplayerthumbs, formerly media-
> video/mplayerthumbs, now kde-base/mplayerthumbs, and version-synced with
> kde-core, so now 4.3.2.  Perhaps you lost that in the shuffle or
> otherwise don't have it installed?  I think that's what gwenview uses.
>
> Too bad they couldn't have stuck with the xine-based thumbnailers they
> used in kde3, especially now that xine-libs is the major non-gstreamer
> phonon backend, thus basically pulling it in as a kde4 dependency.
> There's really not so much reason to have both xine and mplayer
> installed, but with xine for phonon and mplayer for mplayer thumbs...
>
> BTW, if you're still looking for a seriously good video player front-end
> to match kde3's kaffeine (the prerelease kde4 version of which was little
> better than dragonplayer or the like, back when I last looked at it), let
> me point you at smplayer!  It uses mplayer too, but it has even more
> features than kde3's kaffeine did!  Plus, it's qt4 based, and that's of
> course what kde4's based on too, so there's not a lot of additional
> dependencies other than possibly mplayer, for those who are already using
> kde4.  I am *SERIOUSLY* impressed!

Thanks for the reply Dincan,

As James pointed out there is now a selection in Konqueror's configuration that
has to be tic'd for different types of files to be previewed in addition to the
on'off previews seletion in the View menu.

Thanks for the heads up on gwenview. I had used kuickshow before and missed it. I
hadn't bothered thinking about what else to make default for images but gwenview
will do just fine. That being said I prefer konqueror as my gui file browser.

I read somewhere that  the switch from a xine to mplayer based thumbnailer was
based on mplayerthumbs being quicker.

I have been inclined to using xine frontends for videos. Codeine, now dragon
player, for movies and I used to use klear for dvb-tv athough I timeshift more
than view in realtime. I'd rather use one ap for one job and while kaffeien can
also timeshift I've scripted our timeshihting in bash since we do half of it via
nfs to a fileserver with a dvb-t card. Nowadays if I want someting in realtime I
mostly use xine for realtime dvb, dvd's or viewing shows that have been saved to
disk.

Mplayer is on board mostly for mencoder which I use for encoding. This year there
was no getting around it and after 6 or7 years on Linux (slack) I had to put xp on
my daughter's machine due to school requirements and my wife wanting to use
windows live, or whatever that messenger with talk and webcam is called (no
comments please). Interestingly she was unable to view anything with good video
and/or audio from our videos fileshare (.vob, .ts, or mpeg.ps) until I installed
the windows version of smplayer which of course included the mplayer codecs. There
was nothing that worked as a free download and I wasn't going to pay anything for
an unknown commodity. I was impressed with smplayer.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Pungenday, the 16th of The Aftermath, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au