Moving printer configuration from KDE 3 to KDE 4.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 5 14:45:08 BST 2009

> Just out or curiosity, what is this exe file you refer to for? I delete mail
> and in this case can not go back and check details.

I assume that it will configure Windows machines to find the printer
on the network. I don't have a Windows machine to check. When the user
configures the printer in the router's print server, the last step in
the process is to download this EXE from the router and to run it on
the windows machine.

> Is there no web interface? I only have experience with D-Link ADSL modems
> which have web interfaces and but also run on busybox linux and can be
> accessed using telnet and the IP for the dlink modem. I have been able to
> set mine to static IP mode. ony 4 boxes here and no need for dhcp.

There is a web interface for configuring the printer to talk with the
print servers, however to configure Windows to know where the printer
is one needs to run the EXE file.

In KDE 3.5.0 I could enter the IP address of the router as the address
of the print server and the printer worked fine. Not so in KDE 4.2.2.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il