Yet another post of KDE 4.2 impressions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:51:15 BST 2009

On Sunday 29 March 2009 09:00:21 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Saturday 28 March 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > This is intentional.  Users are generally focused on a task (in the
> > description) and not a particular application (in the name).  This is
> > even more true of newer users.
>
> Why not give the choice? If I have to be told to do so because someone
> thinks the majority wants it so, I have Windows or Mac OS X

Because they  have limited time, same as everyone else, and can't do
everything at once.

> > It is still ready for the majority of end users
>
> No. At least that's not what I see when I read my mailing lists.

Of course.  Why would satisfied customers tell the mailing lists that they are
happy and have no problems?

> > , and the KDE project is no
> > longer supporting KDE 3, so they recommend you upgrade.
>
> They don't do it the right way (I mean instead of tempting us to make the
> move we are being threatened)

No threat.  Simple fact.  As in 'I can't support two entirely separate builds
of my application, and I choose to spend my time on the version that has a
future'.  Wouldn't you do the same?

> > KDE 4.2 still does not appear to have all the features KDE 3.5 had, but
> > it is a lot better than KDE 3.2. :)
>
> I can't remember 3.2 exactly, but I don't agree, at least when it comes to
> the desktop (plasma). And, as far as I am concerned, as long as the desktop
> is not working for me, KDE 4 is not working for me and remains on the test
> partition

Your choice.  There are distros that will have KDE3 for a good while yet, and
I assume that they will do the necessary patching for security.

Anne