Yet another post of KDE 4.2 impressions

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sun Mar 29 14:31:42 BST 2009

On Sunday 29 March 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Why not give the choice? If I have to be told to do so because someone
> > thinks the majority wants it so, I have Windows or Mac OS X
>
> Because they  have limited time, same as everyone else, and can't do
> everything at once.

Then say it. "Now you have to do so, but as soon as we can we will give you
more choice" is another message than the one that was given on this thread
("Users are generally focused on a task (in the description) and not a
particular application (in the name)". This sound like: it is so and you
should also do so

> Of course.  Why would satisfied customers tell the mailing lists that they
> are happy and have no problems?

I know. They should perhaps. Anyway, how can anyone state that "It is still
ready for the majority of end users" if no satisfied customer told so? Do we
have a poll? I think we _know" there are unsatisfied "users" and we _pretend_
that all the others are satisfied. I won't believe it until I have more
information.

> > They don't do it the right way (I mean instead of tempting us to make the
> > move we are being threatened)
>
> No threat.  Simple fact.  As in 'I can't support two entirely separate
> builds of my application, and I choose to spend my time on the version that
> has a future'.  Wouldn't you do the same?

I did not mean the devs. I perfectly understand that they will not support
version 3 and 4 together. I simply mean that when you answer to someone who
complains about the current state of 4.x, answering "Anyway, version 3 is no
more supported and you will have no choice in the end but to use version 4"
is just the right way to make me (and other Linux users) say: go to hell with
your KDE 4, I'll look for a replacement. Would it not be better to highlight
the "good" things in KDE 4 and tell the people: come and look, you'll love
this feature?
But in fact, if the people who complain on the mailing lists are just a small
group of very vocal old geeks who understand nothing to what the more modern
users want, if they are just old users no one cares about because of all
those wonderful newer users who just love KDE 4 so much, why does anyone care
to answer on the lists in the first place?

> Your choice.  There are distros that will have KDE3 for a good while yet,
> and I assume that they will do the necessary patching for security.
>
> Anne

Unfortunately they are not the one I use or the one I need. But they all
provide alternative desktops, so in the end, _if_ I have to stop using KDE 3
(and of course if KDE 4 does not get to a point where it is usable for me) I
will compare the available desktops and choose the lesser of two weevils...

Regards,

Thierry

--
“Microsoft isn't evil,
they just make really crappy operating systems.” Linus Torvald