[KMail] More folders than just "Local folders"

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:21:04 GMT 2009

On Monday 09 March 2009 18:24:16 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 March 2009 22:26:45 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> Because that way it's easier to work with.
> >
> > As always, the choice that KDE offers is your friend.
> >
> >> I don't even know how to
> >> achieve the layout you proposed in the first place.
> >
> > If you want to do it we can help.
>
> Well, go ahead.

Not in the middle of this long thread.  I gave you some hints and Kevin
Krammer gave you more.  Did you try any of it?  If you did, and had problems,
start a new thread, telling us what happened, and we'll take it from there.

> >> In Thunderbird, I
> >> simply create my account and everything is placed in it's own top-level
> >> group.
> >
> > Yes, that's the way T'bird does it - and has done since the early
> > Netscape days.  Personally I don't like it, but as I said before, choice
> > is what matters.
>
> No, it doesn't do it by default.  By default Thunderbird behaves like
> KMail.  All goes into "Local Folders->Inbox/Drafts/Trash/etc".  But when
> you create an account, there's a nice little checkbox to enable separate
> folders.  KMail doesn't have this nice little checkbox ;)

Strange - I have two thunderbird users in the family, and neither of them had
to do anything with a checkbox - it automatically organized things as you
describe - as all the mozilla/netscape ones have done, under both linux and
windows.

> >> KMail is really trying hard to make me *not* use it.
> >
> > Rubbish.  You have choices.  You can use T'bird with default settings,
> > but it doesn't have some of the tools that I most appreciate in KMail,
> > such as folder options for controlling mailing list messages, automatic
> > expiry set on a folder-by-folder basis, the ability to set protection
> > flags (and in the latest version the ability to add tags).
>
> TB has all those.  I don't use them though.  I only ever used a single
> filter.  Everything else was working out of the box for what I need.
>
> And about this "choice" thing: you shouldn't tell your users about
> "choice", or else you'll never gonna increase your user base.

I beg your pardon?  Not tell our users about one of the really great
advantages of Linux in general and KDE in particular?  You have to be joking!

> > However, if iyou want to use KMail, we can give you a loose approximation
> > of the layout you prefer and you keep the advantages of the application.
> > As always, the choice is yours.
>
> That's a flawed point of view.  Not making KMail better because users
> can simply use a better alternative does not help anyone, and especially
> not KMail's popularity.  I also have the choice to go Gnome.  Or
> Windows.  Or OS X.  Is that "choice?"  I say no, it isn't.

You say it would make KMail better.  Thousands of users that like it the way
it is do not agree with you.  And yes, all those things you mention are
"choice".

Anne