[KMail] More folders than just "Local folders"

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Mar 9 19:34:44 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 09 March 2009 18:24:16 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> No, it doesn't do it by default.  By default Thunderbird behaves like
>> KMail.  All goes into "Local Folders->Inbox/Drafts/Trash/etc".  But when
>> you create an account, there's a nice little checkbox to enable separate
>> folders.  KMail doesn't have this nice little checkbox ;)
>>
> Strange - I have two thunderbird users in the family, and neither of them had
> to do anything with a checkbox - it automatically organized things as you
> describe - as all the mozilla/netscape ones have done, under both linux and
> windows.

Only if you enabled this feature once.  If you did, all additional
accounts will have it enabled by default as well.

At least that's my observation.

>> And about this "choice" thing: you shouldn't tell your users about
>> "choice", or else you'll never gonna increase your user base.
>>
> I beg your pardon?  Not tell our users about one of the really great
> advantages of Linux in general and KDE in particular?  You have to be joking!

KDE's great feature is that you don't have to use it?  O_o

>> That's a flawed point of view.  Not making KMail better because users
>> can simply use a better alternative does not help anyone, and especially
>> not KMail's popularity.  I also have the choice to go Gnome.  Or
>> Windows.  Or OS X.  Is that "choice?"  I say no, it isn't.
>>
> You say it would make KMail better.  Thousands of users that like it the way
> it is do not agree with you.

Because those who want this feature are not using KMail in the first
place.  So KMail's users are simply those who don't need it.  How is
anyone going to disagree?  Where's my "choice" here?  OK, you say I have
a "choice".  I choose to have separate accounts in KMail.  Oops, it
can't do that.  But didn't you just say I have "choice"?  Turns out I don't.