[KMail] More folders than just "Local folders"

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Mar 9 18:24:16 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 08 March 2009 22:26:45 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> Because that way it's easier to work with.
>
> As always, the choice that KDE offers is your friend.
>> I don't even know how to
>> achieve the layout you proposed in the first place.
>
> If you want to do it we can help.

Well, go ahead.

>> In Thunderbird, I
>> simply create my account and everything is placed in it's own top-level
>> group.
>
> Yes, that's the way T'bird does it - and has done since the early Netscape
> days.  Personally I don't like it, but as I said before, choice is what
> matters.

No, it doesn't do it by default.  By default Thunderbird behaves like
KMail.  All goes into "Local Folders->Inbox/Drafts/Trash/etc".  But when
you create an account, there's a nice little checkbox to enable separate
folders.  KMail doesn't have this nice little checkbox ;)

>> KMail is really trying hard to make me *not* use it.
>
> Rubbish.  You have choices.  You can use T'bird with default settings, but it
> doesn't have some of the tools that I most appreciate in KMail, such as folder
> options for controlling mailing list messages, automatic expiry set on a
> folder-by-folder basis, the ability to set protection flags (and in the latest
> version the ability to add tags).

TB has all those.  I don't use them though.  I only ever used a single
filter.  Everything else was working out of the box for what I need.

And about this "choice" thing: you shouldn't tell your users about
"choice", or else you'll never gonna increase your user base.

> However, if iyou want to use KMail, we can give you a loose approximation of
> the layout you prefer and you keep the advantages of the application.  As
> always, the choice is yours.

That's a flawed point of view.  Not making KMail better because users
can simply use a better alternative does not help anyone, and especially
not KMail's popularity.  I also have the choice to go Gnome.  Or
Windows.  Or OS X.  Is that "choice?"  I say no, it isn't.