Nepomuk/Strigi filled my disk

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:26:23 GMT 2009

On Friday 06 March 2009 10:41 am, Chris Jones wrote:
> > (I'm sporadically fighting a "tilting at windmills" battle to get
> > additional user directories analogous to ~ to separately store:
> >    * real user data
> >    * user configuration data
> >    * user related temp files
> >    * hmm, can't think what to call it, but things like indexes of my
> > email--stuff that is needed in one particular system to make
something
> > work, but is (1) probably not usable in another system (do kmail
> > indexes work in, for example, evolution?), (2) is easily
> > reconstructable, and thus is (3) at least imho, not worth backing up
> > )
> Good luck, you need it ....

Chris,

Thanks for your response, and thanks for the good luck!

While there are a few specific comments below (see the question about
cp), without intending to sound "snarky" (is that the right word) my
general comment is that I intend to keep up my tilting at windmills
battle--probably low key, but I'll probably bring up the issues when I
have both an opportunity and the energy.

In the background, if I ever learn enough C or whatever to do so, I may
start making real modifications to satisfy my desire.

> Frankly, I think you should just give up trying to change
configuration
> data ending up in ~/ - It is essentially a (long time) convention that
> all applications write their config data to ~/.XYZ files or
directories,
> and if you where to change this you would have to get *all*
applications
> to change -

Understood.

> There isn't a single switch you can flip to do it for every
> application out there ... Sorry, but I just don't see this ever
happening.

> Why not simply place you "real user data" in some shared directory,
> which you then symlink/mount as ~/RealUserData for each user,

I may have to remind myself of all the reasons, but, iirc, this means I
need an extra "directory" in each path--instead of saving data in ~, I
have to save it in (e.g.) ~/RealUserData.  (Hmm, but I could still get
to it as /RealUserData, couldn't I--still, whenever the a "standard"
application save (as) is invoked, I have to navigate to
~/RealUserData.)

(BTW, I have started partway down this path, I have a top level
directory named /<user> and I try to redirect all my real user files to
that directory.  Every once in a while, some application fools me and
saves something to /home/<user> instead and then I move it.  I haven't
created a link within /home/<user> to point to <user> because, as I
said, it just adds an extra level of indirection--I'd have to save my

Like I said above, I plan to keep tilting at windmills.

> keeping ~/  distinct to each system ?
>
> On the point of backups, just exclude anything that matches ~/.* - Job
> done. Thats what I do and it works just fine.

Well, I suppose something along those lines would work--is there a cp
command to do that (i.e., to copy files while excluding some)?

Thanks again!

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.