Nepomuk/Strigi filled my disk

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 5 21:42:59 GMT 2009

Hi KDEers,

| > > ok - I tailed that into a new .xsession-errors and deleted (not
| > > moved) the old file.  df doesn't show the space reclaimed,
| > > though.  Log out - no that didn't free it up.  Reboot - yes! I
| > > now have 20GB free in /home.
| >
| > lsof is your friend :-). You shouldn't need to reboot, but you
| > might need to hard-kill X or some such. (The file won't actually
| > go away until nothing has it opened.)
|
| I have a line like the following in my (well, actually my root)
| crontab (currently for once a day execution).  (Clearly, if it was
| needed, it could be run more often):
|
| echo "Cleared on $(date) by $USER cron" >  /home/<user>/.xsession-errors
|
| This seems to immediately reduce the size of the crontab file without
| rebooting or killing X.

Both

  "The file won't actually go away until nothing has it opened."

and

  "echo blah  > .xsession-errors" reduces the size.

are correct.

The "rm" command doesn't delete the file if it's kept opened by
some other processes.  After "rm"-ing it, you can create
a _different_ file of the same name, but the processes that
have been keeping the original file opened still see the
contents of the original file, not the new file you've just
created.  So, removing it doesn't reclaim its space until
the other processes that open it die.

On the other hand, the construction "echo blah > file" overwrites
the _existing_ file, so that it actually changes the contents
of the file.  The other processes that keep it opened see the
new contents.

Regards,
Ryo