Nepomuk/Strigi filled my disk

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 15:41:24 GMT 2009

Hi,

> (I'm sporadically fighting a "tilting at windmills" battle to get
> additional user directories analogous to ~ to separately store:
>    * real user data
>    * user configuration data
>    * user related temp files
>    * hmm, can't think what to call it, but things like indexes of my
> email--stuff that is needed in one particular system to make something
> work, but is (1) probably not usable in another system (do kmail
> indexes work in, for example, evolution?), (2) is easily
> reconstructable, and thus is (3) at least imho, not worth backing up
> )

Good luck, you need it ....

Frankly, I think you should just give up trying to change configuration
data ending up in ~/ - It is essentially a (long time) convention that
all applications write their config data to ~/.XYZ files or directories,
and if you where to change this you would have to get *all* applications
to change - There isn't a single switch you can flip to do it for every
application out there ... Sorry, but I just don't see this ever happening.

Why not simply place you "real user data" in some shared directory,
which you then symlink/mount as ~/RealUserData for each user, keeping ~/
distinct to each system ?

On the point of backups, just exclude anything that matches ~/.* - Job
done. Thats what I do and it works just fine.

cheers Chris