Nepomuk/Strigi filled my disk

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:22:05 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 06:58 pm, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Um... user configurations != user data? And they're stored in ~ so
that
> they are easy to back up and can be used across machines (in a
> network-backed ~ environment). Also because ~ may be the only thing to
> which the user has write access (besides /tmp, which is obviously not
> right for configuration information).

Hmm, a different perspective.  I can see where in this is useful in a
homogeneous network, but my home network is anything but
homogeneous--I've got machines running Mandrake 7.2, Mandriva2006,
Debian 5.0, and Windows.

I doubt the Linux configuration data will not be useful in Windows.  ;-)

Usually it's been recommended to me not to carry the configuration data
from an old distro to a new distro for a variety of reasons (won't
remember them all, but one reason is to allow the new distro to be
experienced as the distro "designers" intend before overlaying my
preferences on it).

Without thinking too much about it, I'd still prefer that my
configuration data be stored in a separate directory from my "real
data"--if I decide to copy (or access) the configuration data from
another machine, I can still choose to do that.

(I'm sporadically fighting a "tilting at windmills" battle to get
additional user directories analogous to ~ to separately store:
   * real user data
   * user configuration data
   * user related temp files
   * hmm, can't think what to call it, but things like indexes of my
email--stuff that is needed in one particular system to make something
work, but is (1) probably not usable in another system (do kmail
indexes work in, for example, evolution?), (2) is easily
reconstructable, and thus is (3) at least imho, not worth backing up
)

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.