Nepomuk/Strigi filled my disk

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Mar 5 21:33:06 GMT 2009

Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009 02:20 pm, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> ...except that 'tail foo > foo' probably isn't a good idea. Before you
>> go trying it on anything important ;-).
>>
>> (If you want to preserve the last few entries, I think you would need
>> do something like 'tail foo > foo.sav ; cat foo.sav > foo ; rm
> foo.sav'.
>> Doing 'mv foo.sav foo' would I think leave anything with 'foo' open
>> writing to a deleted file.)
>
> Thanks!  Right now I don't care about preserving old entries (and will
> stick with my echo "blah blah blah" > .xserver_errors (or whatever),
> but understand what you are saying in case I decide to preserve old
> entries.

Actually, ~/.xsession-errors is not even meant to preserve old entries.
  When X starts, the file is overwritten.  Old entries are deleted when
you login.  Or at least, that how it *should* be.  If not, something
else might be wrong.  I'm not aware of any distro out there that somehow
preserves this file between X login sessions.

And besides, these logs are just there to help you figure out what
happens when something breaks.  They're just informational and not
needed by anything.