Nepomuk/Strigi filled my disk

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 22:15:03 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 21:33:06 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Actually, ~/.xsession-errors is not even meant to preserve old entries.
>   When X starts, the file is overwritten.  Old entries are deleted when
> you login.  Or at least, that how it *should* be.  If not, something
> else might be wrong.  I'm not aware of any distro out there that somehow
> preserves this file between X login sessions.

Certainly I'm seeing a new one with every login - which is why I'm dubious
about JRT's logrotate suggestion - anacron would just save a new one, not the
one with all the info in.

> And besides, these logs are just there to help you figure out what
> happens when something breaks.  They're just informational and not
> needed by anything.

Sure, but if you had to bomb out due to total freeze you would not get any
chance at all to see what the log had contained, and it might have helped.

Anne