kdeprint in kde 4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 07:36:50 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 21:40:37 Rick Miles wrote:
> I have never been able to use the hplip frontend with networked printers.
> Its a nice utility but it seems to be intended for standalone machines. I
> haven't looked since upgrading my server about a year ago but previously I
> had made some inqueries on the hplip lists but never recieved any answers
> about using hplip on a network.

My printer is an HP all-in-one, and is networked via a wireless connection.  I
have to install hplip on each machine that wants to access it, but after that
it works perfectly.  I can scan either from the hp tool or from applications
that support scanning.

The only thing I had to do was find out what address the printer was using.
On some boxes the utility could find it, but on others I had to give it the IP
- I suspect that this depends on the version installed by the distro.
However, once I'd done that, it worked perfectly.

> I did have it working on this slack-12.2 install before I added a
> client.conf to /etc/cups to point the machine at the server so I could
> check out an hp-930c to make sure it was functional.
>
> It worked well enough for what I wanted to do with thay printer but I never
> set up the psc-2355 which would have allowed me to scan on one box only and
> in any case I have always prefered an integrated desktop which to me means
> kde-aps on a kde desktop

Your choice, of course.

Anne