kdeprint in kde 4

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Mar 5 09:43:22 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 18:36:50 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 March 2009 21:40:37 Rick Miles wrote:
> > I have never been able to use the hplip frontend with networked printers.
> > Its a nice utility but it seems to be intended for standalone machines. I
> > haven't looked since upgrading my server about a year ago but previously
> > I had made some inqueries on the hplip lists but never recieved any
> > answers about using hplip on a network.
>
> My printer is an HP all-in-one, and is networked via a wireless connection.
>  I have to install hplip on each machine that wants to access it, but after
> that it works perfectly.  I can scan either from the hp tool or from
> applications that support scanning.
>
> The only thing I had to do was find out what address the printer was using.
> On some boxes the utility could find it, but on others I had to give it the
> IP - I suspect that this depends on the version installed by the distro.
> However, once I'd done that, it worked perfectly.

Interesting, Thanks for the info Is that networked as in via cups server on
another box or networked directly to the hp-psc?  I just go the sane route without
hplip plus had to make users members of group lp. Slack doesn't do much of that by
default but I prefer to do my own configs and I'm old fashioned, the less moving
parts the better.

Also I'll add here, since it was also discussed in this same thread, that I
compiled and installed kde-4.4.3 this arvo and I can now print in okular but I
still get asked to select a filter when I try to print preview. It also seems that
I can select a printer and print in firefox which was not possible before but I
did not think that it would have anything to do with kde so I hadn't discussed it
here.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Prickle-Prickle, the 64th of Chaos, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au