kdeprint in kde 4

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Mar 5 00:51:30 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 10:18:37 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Rick Miles wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> > I'm not sure I feel like compiling my own QT or KDE so I'll wait and
> >  sort out my problems in the interim.
>
> I don't know what Slackware has released, but other distros do have
> Qt-4.4.3 and KDE-4.2.0 so they should be available soon, if not now for
> your distro.
Pat Volkerding is pretty conservative and focuses on simplicity, stability and
security. The only heavyweight desktop in Slack is KDE but he released Slack-12.2
in December with KDE-3.5.9. as he did not think KDE-4 was ready yet. He prefers to
ship software as developers wrote/release it so he's not inclined to change or
modify much hence KDE-4  is in current/testing but will most probably be in the
next release. I might wait for the next major change when kde4 comes out of
testing and replaces 3.5.9 in /current/kde  and qt moves up a notch or 2 and do a
crash and burn install on a spare partition.

> > I usually don't run Current but maybe I'll do a complete upgrade when
> > everything bumops up to the appropriate notch.
>
> I'm just saying that you should have Qt-4.4.3 before you consider it a
> bug.  Also, I was told that printing functions had been improved for
> Qt-4.5 but I don't think that you should try that with KDE-4.2.0.  You
> don't have to upgrade, it is your system, but the problem may have been
> fixed in a slightly newer system.
I don't think I claimed any of my problems were bugs. I was just here saying I
have this or that problem and wondering if anyone else had had them and/or knew
how to fix them. I've been doing Linux long emough to know that if the dog ate it
its because I didn't feed the dog.

I know the drill, fix and compile/compile and change, mod and hack or be patient
and wait for the next release.

Probably been too much time/bandwidth spent on this thread anyway.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Prickle-Prickle, the 64th of Chaos, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au