OpenGL screensaver problem

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 4 00:11:46 GMT 2009

Janyne Kizer wrote:
> I am having problems with the OpenGL screensavers included in KDE
> 2.2.1.  The basic problem is that on xterminals (ncd hmx, ncd mcx, ncd
> thinstar 300) they display the following error message:  "Failed to
> obtain license for feature:  GLX."  I renamed the files that were
> causing the problems (/usr/bin/kspace.kss, /usr/bin/kmorph3d.kss and
> /usr/bin/kpipes.kss). Now to get them off the list of choices...

I think that I understand the problem.  The thinstar 300 has an S3
graphics chip (VIA IIUC).  I would guess that your server has a
different graphics chip and somehow the system is trying to use the
wrong GLX library (and a proprietary one).  This probably wouldn't work
anyway.  This is probably an X11 configuration issue that is above my
pay grade.  There is an X mailing list:

  xorg at lists.freedesktop.org

and if they can't help, you can try the development list on x.org.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch