Can't compile extragear/multimedia/k3b on Fedora 11

Steven P. Ulrick junk at afolkey2.net
Sun Jun 21 21:55:57 BST 2009

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 10:50:36 -0700
James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote:

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Hello Everyone I am attempting to compile k3b from extragear.  First
> > off, "extragear/multimedia/CMakeLists.txt" says the following:
> >> if(KDEMULTIMEDIA_FOUND) macro_optional_add_subdirectory(k3b)
> >> macro_optional_add_subdirectory(kaudiocreator)
> >> endif(KDEMULTIMEDIA_FOUND)
> >
> > The output of "cmakekde" as ran from "extragear/multimedia" says
> > the following:
> >> -- Could not find OPTIONAL package KdeMultimedia
> >
> > So, it would appear that that would be why k3b is not even
> > building. So the first question would be, why is "OPTIONAL package
> > KdeMultimedia" not found, when I most definitely have kdemultimedia
> > compiled and installed on the same path that extragear/multimedia is
> > being installed in.
> >
> > If I run "cmakekde" directly from the k3b source directory, the
> > result is as follows:
> >> -- The following REQUIRED dependencies could NOT be found.
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>  * KCddb  <http://multimedia.kde.org> KCddb is used to retrieve
> >> audio CD meta data from the internet.
> >
> > When I search for "KCddb" in the search box on the page that comes
> > up, the following page comes up:
> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=site%3Amultimedia.kde.org+KCddb
> >

> > So, all of this kind of leads me nowhere.
> >
> > So, my question(s) would be: 1. Why is this "KdeMultimedia" not
> > found, which results in "k3b" not building? 2. Where can this
> > "KCddb" be found, since the link in the error message leads me to
> > nothing useful?
> >
> Is there an INSTALL file in K3b?  This might provide some information
> on the dependencies.

I just went back and checked the INSTALL file as suggested.  I already
had all of the required items, and most of the optional ones.  Just for
fun, I installed whichever of the optional ones that I did not have.

> You can also try running:
>
> 	ccmake ..
>
> from your build subdirectory.  You should then hit the <T> key to
> show all of the dependencies.  Look through the list to see what is
> missing.

When I hit "T" and looked through the pages, I found this:
KDEMULTIMEDIA_INCLUDE_DIR        KDEMULTIMEDIA_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND

Of course that is to be expected, since I mentioned in my original
email on this subject that I alledgedly did not have this
"KdeMultimedia"  Quoted from above (and therefore from my original
email on this subject):
> > > The output of "cmakekde" as ran from "extragear/multimedia" says
> > > the following:

> There is a library: libkcddb.  Do you have it installed?  If you
> installed the binary (RPM), then you also need to install the
> 'kdemultimedia-devel' package.

Again, I mentioned in my initial email on this subject that I am
compiling KDE from the SVN TRUNK source tree.  Since I am not
installing from RPM's, I would assume that whatever WOULD have been in
kdemultimedia-devel would come from compiling kdemultimedia from SVN
TRUNK.  Not that it matters or is relevant, but I do have the
kdemultimedia-devel package installed for the KDE that ships with my
distro (Fedora 11)

Interestingly, when I ran "ccmake .." like you said, I found the
following:
KCDDB_LIBRARY                    /usr/lib64/libkcddb.so

Compare the fact that that library was located with another quote from
my original email:

> > > If I run "cmakekde" directly from the k3b source directory, the
> > > result is as follows:

So, that says that KCddb could not be found (in the path that I am
building KDE in I assume) while ccmake says that it was found
here "/usr/lib64/libkcddb.so"

So, to sum up your ideas so far:
1. All of the required dependencies are installed on our system.
2. I have compiled and installed kdemultimedia from SVN TRUNK, so
whatever is in the kdemultimedia-devel RPM SHOULD be compiled and
installed already.  But, alas, it is not.  There are no libkcddb*
libraries in "/usr/local/kde-trunk/lib"

One thing I noticed is that one of the error messages that I quoted
says that "KCddb" is a REQUIRED dependency.  Again, quoting from my
first post on this subject:

BUT, KCddb is not listed in extragear/multimedia/k3b/INSTALL at all.
It is not listed as a REQUIRED or an OPTIONAL dependency.  So, cmakekde
says that it is required, INSTALL does not say either way (so we would
assume that it is NOT required.  But, k3b seems to not be building on
my system because of this.

In closing, the question arises, are you or anyone else on this list
able to build k3b from extragear in the same path as a KDE SVN TRUNK
install?  I would most like to hear from other Fedora users that either
are able or unable to do so.

Anyway, thank you for you help so far, and I will be looking forward to
doing what I can to help get this issue solved.  Realizing of course
that it is possible that I am the only one with this problem...

Sincerely,
Steven P. Ulrick