KDE 4.2 Documentation

Paul Hartman paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:42:35 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM, James J
Catchpole<james_j_catchpole at yahoo.com> wrote:
> That seems strange to me as User Documentation
> is fundamental. Each Developer should be updating
> the Documentation via a Documentation Administrator.
> I am retired now but was in the business for 40+ years
> at IBM and putting something out without User Documentation
> was a definite No-No. Someone knowledgeable about KDE
> should take this on and develop a requirement that says no
> new appropriate documentation then no knew function.

It is made, for the most part, by volunteers and hobbyists in their
own time... people who are probably more interested in solving
programming challenges than writing and maintaining documentation.
(which is not a problem unique to KDE, but to all free software
projects in general) If you'd like to help write or coordinate such an
effort I'm sure it would be welcomed. :) As far as rules requiring
documentation... good luck with that. People who are working for free
probably don't need any roadblocks.

I'm not aware of any commercial KDE4 books available for users.

Also, we've got the best documentation: the source code. (said
semi-tongue-in-cheek -- I realize not everyone can understand source
code)

I think wikis, mailing lists, and web forums have basically replaced
traditional documentation nowadays.