KDE 3 users: What are the last of the KDE 3 features missing from KDE 4?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 14 15:29:35 BST 2009

Greg Parrish <gparrish at highmarkcompanies.com> posted
4A5B2E81.3090408 at highmarkcompanies.com, excerpted below, on  Mon, 13 Jul
2009 08:54:25 -0400:

> I am still on Fedora 8 with KDE 3.5. I am toying with FC11 on a VM on
> another machine.

I'm not sure what KDE version that is.  The below is for 3.5.10 and 4.2.4.

> The things I see missing are in Konsole for the most part with the new
> version there. Here are just a few items I am still looking to resolve.
>
> 1. In Konsole there is no auto-resize option for the tabs, appears to be
> gone

Hmm, I've never used that feature.  I actually quickly remerged
konsole:3.5 here to see where it was and check 4.2.  You're right, it's
not there in 4.2.  In 3.5, context-clicking on the tab bar (seems to be
only the empty part, so must be done before it gets too full) brings up a
menu with auto resize tabs on it.

Interesting, but I turned it off.  Maybe when I get playing with my
netbook again, I'll find it useful there, but that's why I have dual
monitors, to avoid too many tabs, etc.  So the auto-resize isn't all that
useful, here.

But yes, it is indeed missing.

> 2. In Konsole I can not remap the copy/paste keys in the profile.

Hmm.  That's not in the profile here (for either 3.5 or 4.2).  It's under
Configure Shortcuts, and yes, I tested it and it does seem to work.  Tho
I didn't try to save the changes to see if they'd stick and get applied
in new konsole windows.  Is that what's failing?

> 3. In general, KDE components crashing, but this has improved.

That has indeed improved.  As I've said in other threads, I'm still using
a kde3 based desktop, but with kde4 apps, now, and don't run a kde4
desktop enough to know if it's fully stable yet (I've enough other issues
to make kde4 impossible to run as a working desktop), but it certainly
has improved, as at least I can play with it now, without everything
crashing all the time.