performance problems with ATI Radeon r300

Wolfgang Jeltsch fmp0d6sw at acme.softbase.org
Thu Jul 2 16:26:26 BST 2009

Am Donnerstag, 2. Juli 2009 16:13 schrieb Andrew Mason:
> Yes it is really annoying, unfortunately its mostly a case of the free
> drivers not really being up to the task (yet, they are improving ) ,
> and AMD not caring about older models in their binary drivers.

I’ve just made an interesting observation. If I change the CPU frequency
scaling governor in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
from ondemand to performance, desktop effects seem to be smoother in some
situations. I thought that performance of desktop effects is mainly a GPU
problem so I wonder why fiddling with CPU frequency helps.

Is it possible that changing the governor results in performance improvements
for desktop effects or am I just hallucinating? ;-)  If yes, is there a
solution where I don’t have to let my CPU run with maximum frequency all the
time, e.g., changing some parameters so that it runs with maximum speed when
I actually use effects, but not always?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang