file associations in konqueror

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:00:02 GMT 2009

On Monday 19 January 2009 10:03:30 daniel.barna at cern.ch wrote:
> First of all: sorry for top-posting this. I receive a daily digest, so I
> can not directly answer to a single mail, so my answer will be out of the
> original thread. Can anybody tell me how to do this?
>
> >> Hi,
> >> I have set up kde file associations to launch /usr/bin/hpglview for
> >> *.hpgl, *.hpg, *.plt files (application/vnd.hp-hpgl). In konqueror, it
> >> works nicely as long as I am browsing a local directory. However,
> >> whenever I am browsing a webdavs directory, clicking on the file pops
> >> up the 'What
> >> to do with this file'/'Open with' questions, where I need to type
> >> /usr/bin/hpglview each time. Why? Can this be changed?
> >
> > Does your application show on the 'Open with' list?  If not, try this.
> > When you get 'Open with' select Other.  Enter the name of the
> > application in the
> > top bar, then check the Remember box at the bottom.
> >
> > Anne
>
> I did exactly this. So now konqueror remembers that I want to open it with
> an 'other' program, and every time I click on such files, it pops up the
> 'Open with' dialog, where I need to type in the path of the executable.
> Annoying.

If you entered the name of the executable, then clicked the remember box, it
should have put that application onto your list of possible ones.  Then, in
the File Associations (in SystemSettings) you can move that application to the
top of the list.

> I still don't understand, why files accessed through webdavs:/ have these
> problems, other files do not! If I mount this server directory by wdfs as
> a local directory, then everything works nice, clicking on the file is
> correctly handled by the application/vnd.hp-hpgl association, and the
> program is started.

I also have seen problems with some files - at the moment it seems that
konqueror is opening .ogv files as a text file then warning me that it's a
binary - but I've not had any ideas so far about where this problem lies, and
I don't know whether it's related to your webdav problem or not.  It's a new
phenomenum to me - I haven't seen it in previous releases.

Anne