file associations in konqueror

daniel.barna at cern.ch daniel.barna at cern.ch
Mon Jan 19 10:03:30 GMT 2009

First of all: sorry for top-posting this. I receive a daily digest, so I
can not directly answer to a single mail, so my answer will be out of the
original thread. Can anybody tell me how to do this?

>> Hi,
>> I have set up kde file associations to launch /usr/bin/hpglview for
>> *.hpgl, *.hpg, *.plt files (application/vnd.hp-hpgl). In konqueror, it
>> works nicely as long as I am browsing a local directory. However,
>> whenever I am browsing a webdavs directory, clicking on the file pops
>> up the 'What
>> to do with this file'/'Open with' questions, where I need to type
>> /usr/bin/hpglview each time. Why? Can this be changed?

> Does your application show on the 'Open with' list?  If not, try this.
> When you get 'Open with' select Other.  Enter the name of the
> application in the
> top bar, then check the Remember box at the bottom.
>
> Anne

I did exactly this. So now konqueror remembers that I want to open it with
an 'other' program, and every time I click on such files, it pops up the
'Open with' dialog, where I need to type in the path of the executable.
Annoying.

I still don't understand, why files accessed through webdavs:/ have these
problems, other files do not! If I mount this server directory by wdfs as
a local directory, then everything works nice, clicking on the file is
correctly handled by the application/vnd.hp-hpgl association, and the
program is started.