Getting Rid of HTML in My Messages in KMail

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Sun Jan 18 17:37:52 GMT 2009

On Sunday 18 January 2009, Kishore wrote:
> On Sunday 18 Jan 2009 10:42:55 pm Hal Vaughan wrote:

> > > Sorry. I may have miscommunicated. I *meant* the options menu of
> > > the composer window, not the composer options of kmail!
> >
> > Okay, I found it.
> >
> > > Say, when you choose to reply to this mail, it opens the composer
> > > window where you can edit your response. In that window, there
> > > would be a "Options" menu that lists a "Formatting (HTML)"
> > > option. Make sure that that option is unchecked.
> >
> > I've made sure HTML is unchecked in this email.  I checked some
> > replies I've written that haven't been sent out yet and even with
> > that button unchecked, they're formatted with HTML.
>
> Surely, this mail unlike your previous is not HTML formatted. If you
> open the mail for editing, uncheck the HTML option if already
> selected and send, i would expect it to send in plain text. Can you
> confirm?
>
> > Is there some way to specify this as no HTML permanently?  It seems
> > there are a lot of settings KMail expects me to set or check every
> > time I open the Composer window to write an email.  (I'm not trying
> > to complain to you about it -- I appreciate the help, but it is a
> > serious flaw in the UI.)
>
> It should remember most of those settings from the previous time that
> it was invoked. Which one's do you have a problem with?

I have to change the language on the spellcheck to USA (English -
(United States of America)) with each new email I write.  In the past I
had to turn on spellcheck for each new email I sent.

I haven't changed the settings for HTML on this, so we'll see how it
remembers it with this email.  I guess I have to check, as well, if the
composer sets it to HTML automatically when the incoming email I respond
to is in HTML.

On another note, while I see the responses here, I have yet to receive a
single one of the emails I've sent to this group yet!  It'll be
interesting to see how long it takes them to show up (and yes, I checked
the spam filter).

Again, thanks and we'll see if this email has kept the settings from
before.

Hal