Kaffeine DVD/CD Issues

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 00:18:48 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 04:19:13 Barry Premeaux wrote:
> I am running Mandriva 2008.1 on my desktop.  It is an AMD Athlon64 6000+
> on an ASUS M2A-VM motherboard.  I have a pair of LiteOn DVD drives in
> it.  Both drives read data DVD/CD's without a problem.  But, neither
> will play an audio CD.
>
> I also have an external USB DVD/CD drive from Samsung.  With it, I can
> play audio CD's with Kaffeine just fine.
>
> Looking at xine engine and the media configuration, it points to the
> first DVD drive as /dev/cdrom and dev/dvd.  Checking both of these under
> /dev shows them linked to hda as they should be.
>
> I am really lost on this one.  Do some DVD/CD drives read audio disks
> and some not?  Could it be a firmware issue in the LiteOn drives?
>
> One thought just occurred to me.  The drives are not identical.  The hda
> is a 20x20 DVD-RW DL Super Allwrite, while hdb is a more generic
> 52x32x52/16 DVD/CDRW.  I'm going to try configuring xine for the second
> drive.  In the mean time, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Barry

I think you should ask on the mandriva forum. It's fairly good but high end
knowledge can take a couple of days to appear.
There were 2 versions of 2008.1 on mandriva for download early last year. One
came with more video and audio features etc than the other. There was also a
link in one of the user forums to sort out this sort of thing. This may not
be the official mandriva forum and is highly likely to make use of unofficial
repositories. Sorry can't help more than that. I ran it for a while under
virtual box early last year. You should be able to find the site listed on
the mandriva web site.

A silly question but the audio cd output may only be taken from the digital
lead of the cd or it can be generated another way. Can't help you there but I
have had that problem on a couple of distro's and it was down to how the low
level audio was set up. Again the mandriva forum should be able to help. This
sort of thing can be very distro specific.

John