[KDE4.1.3]: No graphic login ... KDE3 works

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 14 22:32:30 GMT 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:13:43 -0600
Hans Muecke <kde at 4077th-mash.net> wrote:

> Well ... I'm not shure this applies to my case. I didn't change any
> resolution related stuff. I did a normal shutdown in the morning and
> after turning the machine on again in the eve, KDE4 did the
> "black-screen-go-to-start-thing". KDE3 is working, so I am assuming I
> am missing a certain config file ...
[snipped]

I have the same trouble and I'm sure its a bug with KDE 4.x

When I run the live edition of Kubuntu 8.10 that contains KDE 4.1 on an
amd64 machine with a nvidia graphics card, it runs OK and I see the KDE
4 desktop (with plasmoids).  However, if I install the live cd to my
hard drive and run it, I get the login screen, then I get a white
screen which shortly afterwards turns black with a large rectangle in
the middle that is VERY dark grey.  It is at that point all activity
ceases with the hard drive.

This does not happen with KDE 3.5.x, Gnome 2.0, or Enlightenment E17,
so I do not see why it should occur with KDE 4.x installs.  I have
tried a number of things suggested by the kubuntu-users list without
success, but I have not yet tried renaming ~/.kde file to ~/.kde_old
and then installing KDE, so that's the next thing to try.  However, I
certainly think this is something that the KDE developers should have
forseen, as other desktop/window manager developers seem to have done.

--
Graham Todd