creating custom icons for kde 4 desktop

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Feb 19 19:32:56 GMT 2009

Rick Miles wrote:
>   On Thursday 19 February 2009 17:48:31 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>  > Your desktop can be whatever you want it to be.
> and I don't want to have to put a folder named anything on top of it to
> be able to add my own icons to it.

And why not, if I may ask?  That's how it works.  And does work nicely.

>  > You can have
>  > ~/.desktopicons instead of ~/Desktop. I don't see where the problem is,
>  > if there is a problem at all.
>  >
> The method you prefer is discussed in the KDE docs under the heading "
> If you prefer a Classic, KDE3-style Desktop" I don't. I'd rather learn
> how to work with KDE4 but not be constrained with what I can do.

A folder view *IS* part of KDE4.  Therefore, you are working with KDE4.

I still fail to understand what the issue is.  All of that what you
described is possible by simply using a folder view for the entire
desktop.  The fact that the icons will be saved on disk on some
directory is hurting you in some way?