creating custom icons for kde 4 desktop

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Feb 19 20:31:50 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 06:32:56 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Rick Miles wrote:
> >   On Thursday 19 February 2009 17:48:31 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >  > Your desktop can be whatever you want it to be.
> >
> > and I don't want to have to put a folder named anything on top of it to
> > be able to add my own icons to it.
>
> And why not, if I may ask?  That's how it works.  And does work nicely.
>
> >  > You can have
> >  > ~/.desktopicons instead of ~/Desktop. I don't see where the problem
> >  > is, if there is a problem at all.
> >
> > The method you prefer is discussed in the KDE docs under the heading "
> > If you prefer a Classic, KDE3-style Desktop" I don't. I'd rather learn
> > how to work with KDE4 but not be constrained with what I can do.
>
> A folder view *IS* part of KDE4.  Therefore, you are working with KDE4.
>
> I still fail to understand what the issue is.  All of that what you
> described is possible by simply using a folder view for the entire
> desktop.  The fact that the icons will be saved on disk on some
> directory is hurting you in some way?
OK folks the following is a bit verbose and is really to answer Nikos' question
then perhaps this thread can be closed.

Nikos,

I am not trying to be a pain in the butt or anythiing but (1) although folderview
is perfectly aceptable method of doing things I prefer not to do it that way (2) I
had a need for custom icons for a variety of reasons and an itch to scratch hence
the subject of this thread and (2) for whatever reason, the develpers have moved
away from using a ~/Desktop folder approach and are moving towards using icons
described in .desktop directories rather than the "link" approach of kde3 and I'd
just as soon get used to doing things the new way rather than holding onto the
past.

I've been using linux with kde as my prefered desktop since 2000-1. It would be
very easy for me to just hang onto to how I used to do it but as with many things
I'd rather push myself to adapt to new ways. That's my choice that's what Linux is
about.

New way? .. well almost, .... I still prefer CLI for many activities and midnight
commander for heavy duty file management. Whereas I use Konqueror for quick
icon/preview snapshots of what's in a specific directory which means that dolphin
will be largely redundant for me which leads me to ask another question but I'll
save that for aanother thread.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Sweetmorn, the 51st of Chaos, 3175
http://turtlespond.net