configuration on kde 4.2

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Feb 18 10:34:34 GMT 2009

Hello all,

I have had a look at kde 4.2 today. In my case the official slackware packages now
in /current/testing.

I've spent some time getting the feel of it and am liking it more as I go but
there are some niggling configuration issues I have yet to sort out.

One can no longer create an icon on the desktop using rightclick create  link to
application. How is it now done.

I quite liked being able to put my mouse over an icon in konqueror and having a
little popup tell me things like what type of video file/encoding it was, what
type of audio it contained, etc. I have not figured out how to get this in
dolphin. Is it possible?

I have not found any way to set file associations except through configure
konqueror. Is there another way?

It seems that somehow scribus has been set at the top or near the top as
associated with every type of text file. It would take ages to delete it manually
from every text file listing using configure konqueror. Are there any settings
files related to this that I could just run through with awk or sed and delete all
the scribus entries and if so where are they.

Finding the new way to do configuration is the most trying thing so far otherwise
this will be enjoyable once I get used to it.

TIA and cheers!