Desktop and Panel links and icon's missing. What do I do?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Feb 16 01:59:06 GMT 2009

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Scott Pancoast wrote:
>> I upgraded to KDE4.2. from 3.5.
>>
>> When I upgraded I lost all of my desktop icons. Ok, that happens.
>> Nothing big.  So I went through the application menu, and added my
>> favorite desktop Icon's/links back onto my desktop,
>
> You dragged menu icons to the DeskTop?  Which would mean that you have
> the FolderView selected for your Desktop.
>
>> and to the panel using the provided right click option.
>>
>> This is where everything took a hard turn left.
>>
>> I worked with the programs used on the desktop for a while then shut
>>  down, so I know the links worked. When I restarted my computer, the
>>  ICONs/links were now the basic Binary file Icon and a non-functional
>>  link. The Icon looked like a page with the corner turned down filled
>>  with stylized 1's and 0's.   The same thing occurred with several of
>>  my panel Icons.
>>
>> I guessed I used kde3 icons / programs.  So I deleted the now defunct
>>  icons and reset/set new ones, using only kde4 icons if possible.
>> Shut down and restarted.
>>
>> Now, I get the old defunct Icons, and the new icons.
>>
> So, I tried to reproduce your problem and couldn't.
>
> I don't really know what the problem might be.
>
> What I can tell you is that the stuff on the DeskTop is actually in a
> folder: "$HOME/Desktop" is the default.  So, you can go to that folder
> and delete the 'desktop' files that are screwed up.

I have reproduced part of your problem, so if you can confirm this,
report a bug and I will confirm it:

Unlock Widgets

Add Panel

Drag "Terminal" from menu to new panel.

Lock Widgets

Leave Logout

Log back in to the KDE-4 session.

Check to see that the icon works.

Unlock Widgets

Remove the Icon

Note that the icon does disappear!

Lock Widgets

Leave Logout

Log back in to the KDE-4 session.

Note that the icon is back, but that it is now the binary file icon.

--
JRT