Desktop and Panel links and icon's missing. What do I do?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 14 09:35:44 GMT 2009

Scott Pancoast wrote:
> I upgraded to KDE4.2. from 3.5.
>
> When I upgraded I lost all of my desktop icons. Ok, that happens.
> Nothing big.  So I went through the application menu, and added my
> favorite desktop Icon's/links back onto my desktop,

You dragged menu icons to the DeskTop?  Which would mean that you have
the FolderView selected for your Desktop.

> and to the panel using the provided right click option.
>
> This is where everything took a hard turn left.
>
> I worked with the programs used on the desktop for a while then shut
>  down, so I know the links worked. When I restarted my computer, the
>  ICONs/links were now the basic Binary file Icon and a non-functional
>  link. The Icon looked like a page with the corner turned down filled
>  with stylized 1's and 0's.   The same thing occurred with several of
>  my panel Icons.
>
> I guessed I used kde3 icons / programs.  So I deleted the now defunct
>  icons and reset/set new ones, using only kde4 icons if possible.
> Shut down and restarted.
>
> Now, I get the old defunct Icons, and the new icons.

So, I tried to reproduce your problem and couldn't.

I don't really know what the problem might be.

What I can tell you is that the stuff on the DeskTop is actually in a
folder: "$HOME/Desktop" is the default.  So, you can go to that folder
and delete the 'desktop' files that are screwed up.

--
JRT