Desktop and Panel links and icon's missing. What do I do?

Scott Pancoast SPancoast at nw3c.org
Fri Feb 13 13:46:42 GMT 2009

I upgraded to KDE4.2. from 3.5.

When I upgraded I lost all of my desktop icons. Ok, that happens.
Nothing big.  So I went through the application menu, and added my
favorite desktop Icon's/links back onto my desktop, and to the panel
using the provided right click option.

This is where everything took a hard turn left.

I worked with the programs used on the desktop for a while then shut
down, so I know the links worked. When I restarted my computer, the
ICONs/links were now the basic Binary file Icon and a non-functional
link. The Icon looked like a page with the corner turned down filled
with stylized 1's and 0's.   The same thing occurred with several of my
panel Icons.

I guessed I used kde3 icons / programs.  So I deleted the now defunct
icons and reset/set new ones, using only kde4 icons if possible. Shut
down and restarted.

Now, I get the old defunct Icons, and the new icons.

Ok So, I need help/answers to two Questions,
	1. how to get rid of the defunct icons that won't stay deleted.

And
	2. why this happened in the first place.

Please any thoughts comments, potential fixes

Scott Pancoast