Kmail : problem in checking Gmail with IMAP account type

Farhad Hedayati Fard hf.farhad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 15:51:21 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 07:07:29 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 December 2009 15:02:05 Farhad Hedayati Fard wrote:
> > > Then, directly under that (and at the same branch-level) there is the
> > > [Gmail] account, with a greyed-out (virtual?) folder and a set of
> > > sub-folders as I'd expect to see.  How did that folder and its
> > > structure get created?  Is it possible that it's the [ and ] in the
> > > name that's causing the problem?
>
> In answer to Duncan you said that they were created automatically when you
> connected to Gmail, so probably you should simply leave them alone.
>
> > The [Gmail] foldere grayed out after I changed its properties,
>
> Change which properties?  From what, to what?  I'm not sure that these are
> KMail folders, actually, being more like mirrors of the Gmail folders, so
> maybe the properties of them shouldn't be touched?

I meant after disabling "include this folder when checking for new mail" and
"Act on New/unread mail in this folder" in [Gmail] folder's properties, it has
turned gray, Also its properties in right-click menu is disabled and not
clickable... (In other words the [Gmail] folder doesn't have properties
anymore).

> > and its
> > properties is grayed out in right click menu ( I don't know what should i
> >
> >  call  this menu, sry!)
> >
> > > What about those other folders, such as TehranLug - do they come in
> > > from a different account?
> >
> > No, they're labels I have created in my gmail account ,
> > http://imagebin.ca/view/K40AwS.html , as I said this is the default
> >
> >  structure  that kmail used, I didn't add any folder to the structure...
>
> OK - so, as in GMail, they are sub-sets of your Inbox, not actually
> separate at all.  Again, they can't and shouldn't be treated as KMail
> folders, I think.
>
> This would be so much easier if I could try the setup here, but it's simply
> not practical for me, as I need my local IMAP server, with clients on
> various boxes and laptops.  For now it looks as though we may just have to
> wait until a Gmail IMAP user comes back.  Sorry that it looks like a
> dead-end.
>
> Duncan - that error message pointing to the [Gmail] folder still worries
> me. Any ideas on that?
>
> Anne

thanks. Farhad