Kmail : problem in checking Gmail with IMAP account type

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 29 15:37:29 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 15:02:05 Farhad Hedayati Fard wrote:

> > Then, directly under that (and at the same branch-level) there is the
> > [Gmail] account, with a greyed-out (virtual?) folder and a set of
> > sub-folders as I'd expect to see.  How did that folder and its structure
> > get created?  Is it possible that it's the [ and ] in the name that's
> > causing the problem?

In answer to Duncan you said that they were created automatically when you
connected to Gmail, so probably you should simply leave them alone.

> The [Gmail] foldere grayed out after I changed its properties,

Change which properties?  From what, to what?  I'm not sure that these are
KMail folders, actually, being more like mirrors of the Gmail folders, so
maybe the properties of them shouldn't be touched?

> and its
> properties is grayed out in right click menu ( I don't know what should i
>  call  this menu, sry!)
>
> > What about those other folders, such as TehranLug - do they come in from
> > a different account?
> >

> No, they're labels I have created in my gmail account ,
> http://imagebin.ca/view/K40AwS.html , as I said this is the default
>  structure  that kmail used, I didn't add any folder to the structure...

OK - so, as in GMail, they are sub-sets of your Inbox, not actually separate
at all.  Again, they can't and shouldn't be treated as KMail folders, I think.

This would be so much easier if I could try the setup here, but it's simply
not practical for me, as I need my local IMAP server, with clients on various
boxes and laptops.  For now it looks as though we may just have to wait until
a Gmail IMAP user comes back.  Sorry that it looks like a dead-end.

Duncan - that error message pointing to the [Gmail] folder still worries me.
Any ideas on that?

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group