Kmail : problem in checking Gmail with IMAP account type

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Dec 29 14:32:22 GMT 2009

farhad hedayati posted on Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:40:23 +0330 as excerpted:

> href="http://imagebin.ca/view/Urgxov.html">http://imagebin.ca/view/
> I disabled "include this folder when checking for new mail"
> and "Act on new/unread mail in this folder" in [Gmail]
> folder's properties (see the above link) and now I don't get the
> error anymore , but I think should would be another way for fixing this
> problem instead of completely preventing kmail from using the folder!

Please don't post in HTML, and please don't top-post.  While HTML mail is
considered extremely rude (due to the possible malware effects, it can be
compared to blowing your nose in your hand and then offering to shake
hands with someone, RUDE and GROSS!), top-posting is simply irritatingly
rude, as it puts the reply before the context in which it is to be read
and makes proper replying with context difficult.  Edit the quote to the
context you are replying to, and reply inline, point by point, so ideally
in an ordinary sized display window, no portion of quote is larger than
the window, so reply is always visible.

As with Anne I don't do IMAP.  However, from what I've read of the
protocol, what it basically does is synchronize folders between the local
client and the remote server.  If you're using a gmail IMAP folder
locally and have it set to sync with the IMAP server, it's going to
expect that you have a gmail IMAP folder on the server as well.

Thus, if I'm not mistaken, you need to setup the same syncing folder
structure both locally and on the server, or expect to get errors.  (Note
that you should also be able to have separate folders that don't sync,
but the ones set to sync with that IMAP server must exist on both the
server and locally.)