Kmail : problem in checking Gmail with IMAP account type

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:42:50 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 14:32:22 Duncan wrote:
> As with Anne I don't do IMAP.  However, from what I've read of the
> protocol, what it basically does is synchronize folders between the local
> client and the remote server.  If you're using a gmail IMAP folder
> locally and have it set to sync with the IMAP server, it's going to
> expect that you have a gmail IMAP folder on the server as well.

I did assume that the settings for enabling IMAP on the gmail server had been
checked, but certainly it's another place to look.

> Thus, if I'm not mistaken, you need to setup the same syncing folder
> structure both locally and on the server, or expect to get errors.  (Note
> that you should also be able to have separate folders that don't sync,
> but the ones set to sync with that IMAP server must exist on both the
> server and locally.)

Yes, I also suspect that the structure may be part of the problem.  My guess
is that it's seeing '[GMail]' when it expects to find the user address.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group