How to let konqueror startup with last session?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Dec 19 07:55:26 GMT 2009

spir posted on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:20:40 +0100 as excerpted:

> Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> dixit:
>
>> You can manually save a session with File > Sessions > Save As, then
>> load that session next time you launch Konqueror.  Not quite a simple
>> as automatically loading the tabs you were running last time, but it
>> works quite well.  You can also overwrite sessions, so if you choose to
>> save a session Browsing and another called WIP, you can save your
>> changed sessions over the old ones for use later.

> Right. Just to be sure (because I'm surprised of the absence of such a
> common setting): Does this mean one cannot just close Konqueror and/or
> switch the computer off, then later resume work where it stopped? (Most
> apps I use work like that, including firefox*.) We really have to to
> _explicitely_ save a session? As the feature exists, is there a reason
> why it cannot be defined as a setting?

If konqueror crashes, next time it starts it notes that it didn't close
correctly and asks if you want to resume that session.  Unfortunately I
don't believe it's possible to do that with closing it normally, but if
you issue a killall -9 konqueror (from a terminal window or krunner), it
causes the kernel to "kill it with extreme prejudice", IOW, without
letting it save its settings.  That should do it.  You could of course
setup a quick script with a menu entry or icon somewhere that you could
click, to do it for you, if desired.

> (*) I cannot use firefox anymore, since the bug that erased all my
> setting -- it simply doesn't start, just pretends to for a couple of
> seconds.

That should be reasonably easy to fix.  Simply delete the firefox
settings/profiles/database and let it start over with a new one.  That
info should be under ~/.mozilla.  If you wish, you can try saving it
elsewhere (backing it up) and restoring a bit at a time, until you find
what file is triggering the crash, and/or use the strace -eopen technique
I was describing in another thread, either here or in the kde-linux
newsgroup/list (they're newsgroups to me, as I participate using
gmane.org's list2news gateway).