Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Dec 10 18:52:56 GMT 2009

Draciron Smith posted on Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:59:13 -0600 as excerpted:

> I first started using Linux and my C skills were still fresh and sharp.
> Then along would come and update and my work would be obliterated.
> Didn't take long to give up on that.

Were you filing bugs with the appropriate patches, returning the code
upstream so, if they chose to use it, you'd not have to keep having it
obliterated?  That's really important too, you know.  Of course, upstream
can just as easily say that's not where we're going with this app, or
simply ask for a few further tweaks before they bother to add it if it's
not something on their priority list, but if enough people find upstream
unresponsive, there's very likely other alternatives, possibly forks,
possibly entirely new code, out there that are more responsive.

The cdrecord and xfree86 examples come to mind, tho those were primarily
license related feuds.  But Debian's recent switch away from the standard
glibc could very well be starting a trend there, with probably the most
critical component of the system other than the kernel (and for devs, the
compiler itself), due to the well known "less than cooperative" attitude
of its primary maintainer.