Why KDE4 is called KDE?

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Thu Dec 10 10:12:08 GMT 2009

Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon at decoulon.ch> dixit:

> To go back to the origin of this talk, obviously telling a normal user either
> to join the devs and code some functionalities himself, or to tell him that
> the KDE 3 code is free and he can continue developping it himself is just
> ridiculous.

Note that, even to a someone that can read C, such answer is a bit wrong. Understanding a complex codebase to the point of beeing able to do any meaningful and *correct* change can be a very long and difficult task; actually it depends mainly on the authors' clarity of mind.
I recently asked for a very little addition in a game (*) that would have taken, say between 1/4h and 1h to a coder that knows this part of the app. How much time and effort for me? At least a few days.

Denis

(*) Battle for Wesnoth. I wished end-of-game savefiles to be able to collect statistics from a script.