Double-click consistency in KDE

Sat Aug 29 15:46:01 BST 2009

On Thursday 27 Aug 2009 12:21:11 am Peter Lewis wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 Aug 2009 10:26:25 pm Peter Lewis wrote:
> > > I have used many versions of KDE since 1998 but there is one thing that
> > > has always perplexed me...
> > >
> > > Who decides when a double-click will have to be used to change to a
> > > folder when navigating file-structures, or launch an application within
> > > a folder?
> > >
> > > If I may come clean at the start, I regard the double-click as the
> > > spawn of the devil. What irritates me though is having to guess when I
> > > will have to double-click and when just to click once.
> > >
> > > Is there any way to control this? I can find none up to KDE 4.2. In
> > > "System Settings" -> General you can click on "Keyboard & Mouse" and
> > > its background turns blue! WoW! Double-click and you can get to Mouse
> > > Settings where you can select "Single-click to open files and folders"
> > > (single-click YuK)
> >
> > OK. I am a little confused here. Do you prefer single click or double?
> > The settings you choose in the above mentioned config should apply across
> > all KDE applications. If it does not it is mostly a bug if not a
> > consciously made decision.
>
> Sorry Kishore, it is the term "single-click" that I hate, I would always
> rather click once. Let us be honest, nobody ever says or writes "he single-
> blew the horn on his car". I regard "double-" prepended to click as being a
> modification of normal action which makes "single-" lexically redundant.
> The same holds true with "forward-" when appended to slash, totally
> redundant.
>
> I should not have inserted that aside.

Indeed. One can blame Microsoft and windows for inventing this silly thing. It
was however really irritating with single click as there was no easy way to
"select" an item. I loved the concept in dolphin that allowed me select and
click when in the "single click" mode. Ever since dolphin "arrived" I find the
"double click" really irritating! :)
--
Cheers!
Kishore